Wednesday, April 16, 2008

I saw something... a vehicle... from the FUTURE!

Yes. The FUTURE. As in... not of this time.

I saw a vehicle, like a van, but not. I was young, pre-teen... perhaps 11 or 12 when I saw it. The family was driving on a lonely isolated road while vacationing. If I remember correctly it must've been in Colorado. Typical two lane mountain road, winding, up and down. Sunny, dried tall grass, stubby green pine trees. Snow capped mountains. The occasional semi truck. Mostly cars.

I was somewhat bored. This was before the advent of iPods, portable DVD players, PSP games, even CD players. If I was lucky I probably had a tape deck, the old school walkman. I was staring out of the window of the family sedan, a big brown cop-car-looking Chevy. Cars occasionally passing us from the other direction. We turned a corner and that's when I saw it.



It was big, beige and flat-ish. It looked like a squashed van. The windows were tiny slits, the wheels were covered and I remember seeing a stripe of color along it's side. Slightly underneath the stripe was a panel marked "Weapons." It wasn't a Ford. It wasn't a Chevy. It wasn't even an import. It wasn't military. It was something else... Suffice to say I had never before seen such a vehicle.

It passed us quickly, in almost a blink of an eye, making not one sound. I break the mundane silence by exclaiming, "Did you guys see that??!!" Of course no one else did. My mom was reading a magazine, I don't think she even looked up. My sister was asleep. Not even my dad, who was DRIVING for Pete's sake!!!

I turn to see where the Weapons Van (that's what I call it now) had gone, but by then the road had twisted and the strange vehicle was gone.

This wasn't imagined, it wasn't a hallucination. It wasn't from a movie, it wasn't some nerd's souped up Toyota Previa...




It was a vehicle... from the future.

-Jeff

4 comments:

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

Hmmm don't remember that one - but you were always "spotting" things that we didn't. Remember the moose in Utah? Let's just say you are extremly alert - and maybe looking for the unexpected. That's a good trait - don't loose that one,OK?
Mpm

Miss Mia said...

You are so totally weird, Jeff :)

Anonymous said...

The 1983 arcade game, Spy Hunter, had a weapons van...red. Zazzle.com has a button, which you may want; large red button which reads, "WAIT, that's not the weapons van!" Teehee. Betty

Anonymous said...

I believe it. I see things from the past. Why not the future?